Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Hermit

So many people are afraid to see The Hermit, thinking his presence means loneliness and isolation. They get caught up in the negative connotation of his name -- how can a hermit be a good thing in a society that so highly values popularity? Particularly, they think his presence means lonely and isolated times are coming into their own lives. That would be a sad and ominous message, so it's a good thing it's not true. 

The Hermit is about your own spiritual growth, which is the most personal thing there is. You can share your spirituality with as many people as you want, you can draw inspiration from as many sources as you want, but ultimately, your spiritual side is yours, and yours alone. No one can tell you how to walk your journey. Your spiritual path is your choice.

The Hermit is about your own enlightenment. Every deck I know of shows The Hermit carrying a lantern. And that's the key to The Hermit -- his lantern. Because of my background, every time I see him and his lantern I think "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." (Psalm 119:105.) I had to look that up, because I often misquote it. I usually think the quote is, "Jesus is a lamp unto my feet..." which doesn't make sense since I know the quote is from somewhere in Psalms. 

But that doesn't really matter, because in my spirituality time isn't quite that linear, and Jesus can be a lamp unto my feet if that's how I feel about Him. Really, any true spirituality can (and will) be a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path. And that's why The Hermit showed up. To tell you to go ahead and follow the path. The way is already lit for you. 


In love and light,

Krystal Kay White

No comments:

Post a Comment